Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Milestones of Hamstring Recovery

Identifying and meeting milestones has not been a significant part of my thought process. Now that I think about it, I don't seem to be a person who does a lot of goal setting. I remember doing a goal setting exercise when I worked at a church in Phoenix. I hated doing it. I wonder if that is the symptom of some underlying neuroses. ;) Flashback to potty training days, I am certain there was milestone planning, I just don't remember. In the last year, without realizing it I have become much more focused on reaching milestones. Some of these milestones have been suggested by medical professionals and some by me (the patient).

The purpose of milestone-based thinking is to help choose the right goals. It is counter-productive to be laying on the couch 2 weeks after hamstring surgery thinking only of running a marathon. At 2 weeks PO (post op) I was elated to be able to put a little weight on my right leg and began to focus on my next milestone of bending at the hip. Today, I am nearly 6 mo PO and my next milestone is running. Excitement builds these last eleven days until I can put a big checkmark in the "running again" box.

Yesterday I spent an extended amount of time searching and planning my running milestones of 2018.

  • February 11 begin running
  • April 21 local 5K race
  • April 22 sign up for a 1/2 marathon
  • Summer 10K race
  • October 21 Des Moines, IA 1/2 marathon

What I went through was rough but conquerable.  If you want to understand my injury and surgery better you can read about it by clicking here. Instead of feeling sorry for my aging self I decided to beat the odds and come back better than before. I share these goals so you can become part of my road to recovery. I am a bit frightened to run again and have no idea if I will be able to run 3.1 miles in April much less 13.1 in October. Posting this is my way of asking for your support, prayer and encouragement, not just in running these physical races but in walking along side me in my life journey. 


I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus is calling us.  Phillipians 3:14

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Well, I guess I am still discovering who you are after all these years of friendship. I had no idea you were not goal oriented!! Since I am, I just assume everyone is, evidently. Sounds like you have some good goals in place for this year. Just remember, goals are not set in stone, they're movable. If you need to adjust them, do it. As I tell myself "goals are not life and death, they're motivation".