Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Back to School 2018-2019


A parent's prayer on the first day of school.

Gracious Lord,
In a season of life when parenting decisions seem to loom larger than life itself, I humbly ask for your guidance. While the shoes still smell new and the pencils point crisply, our hearts sense a need for a stronger connection with your love and a deeper reliance on your grace. Would You help me to remember that You know every thought I have as a parent? Would You remind me that the feeling of having my heart walk around outside my body is one You are ever so familiar with? And would You provide the wisdom from above as I walk this new ground for a new school year. I praise Your name for faithfully doing so.
In Jesus' Holy Name,
Amen

Praying for my children is a privilege and honor I do not take lightly. I have seen the miraculous works of our God through prayer. Sometimes the works are more in me than what I am even praying about. Oh He is good!


Emma went back to college last Friday to prepare for rush. She is a Gamma Phi Beta living in the sorority house and excited to experience recruitment from the other side this year. Her major is still Social Work and if all goes well with her Criminal Justice class this year she will add a minor in Criminal Justice. Classes don't start until next Monday for Em. 

Olivia started school yesterday, no longer is she the baby of the building. Watch out for my much older, so mature 7th grader. :) Liv was ready for school to start. She loves the social aspect and if she was honest she likes going to classes too. Show choir rehearsals begin tomorrow, twice a week before or after school. The first day of band is Thursday. And Sing Omaha starts next week. It feels like a lot to me but she drinks it up. 

Reagan has hit that crazy junior year. If I remember correctly, everything you do this year is about setting the tone for college and scholarships. She took the ACT for the first time in July. Hopefully in round two she will check the calculator for batteries BEFORE the test starts. She's driving again, playing soccer again and extremely busy with social engagements. This is year three on the Student-Superintendent board. She has seen some changes for this school year that the students suggested to Dr Sutfin at their monthly meetings. That's pretty cool. 

Chris has already put in a full week without students. In his 20th year (ok, I actually can't remember how long it has been) of teaching he is trying something new... 8th grade social studies. Our girls are a little freaked out by it. They think of their dad as an ENGLISH teacher not a HISTORY teacher. Chris is back for year two at DC West High School in Valley, Nebraska as the head varsity softball coach. Last year his team made huge improvements and we all look forward to what the girls and his coaching staff will accomplish this season.

There's not much to tell about me. I'm still mom. I still want to craft more than I do. I cook, clean, run a taxi service, drink coffee and pray for my family. I still work for Elite Girls Academy Soccer club, now called Elite Soccer as we have started a boys division as well. Today I started cleaning a rental house. From now until December looks like I have an extra job 3-4 hours a week. That works for me.

My inspiration for today is simple...

BE KIND