Monday, May 17, 2010

First of Forty

Today I dove into Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Life.  I'm asking for your help in accountability.  I will tell you right now that I do not anticipate completing all 40 chapters in 40 days.  Yes they are short chapters but sometimes 10 minutes of prayer and quiet time is all I can do...the book may get squeezed out.

So today I learned "it's not about me."  No kidding!  I've been a mom for over 11 yrs.  Some where along that path I picked that not so subtle message up.  :)

I have been told by a couple people that this is a terrible book and scripture is twisted to say what Warren wanted it to say.  Let's be honest, don't you hear pastors so that many Sunday mornings?  Infact, on Easter Sunday I heard the pastor who is so critical of this book read scripture and then say, "let me paraphrase that."  That's his big beef with the "Message."  Hey buddy here's a secret, the Message is a paraphrase, it doesn't pretend to be a version of the bible. 

Ok, I can step down from my soap box.  :)

If you haven't read this book or if you want to go through it again, I would love to have your company.  Challenge me.  Help me grow.  Hold me accountable.

Plan to check back with me in a couple of days.  I hope to post a few times a week about my study.  Feel free to leave comments.

Blessings to you and yours!!!!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I'm reading Beth Moore's "So Long, Insecurity (you've been a bad friend to us)", but I will break out "Purpose Driven" & read along with you. I've been wanting to re-read anyway. Good for you for reading this! I was just thinking that it had been weeks since we talked about it... I thought about buying one and sending it to you!