Tuesday, January 24, 2012

What Are You Reading?

Do you have a list?  I do and it seems to be growing.  What a funny idea for me to have a "Books I Want to Read List".  Can I just say, that is totally out of character for me!  Less than 10 years ago I could count on one hand the number of books I had read for enjoyment.  Today, I am willing if only I could have a 25 hour day.

I really enjoy Francine Rivers as an author.  She has a new book, maybe even 2 out, I'm on the waiting list at the library.  My other favorite Christian author is Karen Kingsbury.  The Redemption series is wonderful which leads into the First Born and Baxter series.  The Shack has been on my list for about 2 years and as soon as I can get it from my mother-in-law I'll be diving into that story.  My friend Vicki has my interests up about a book titled, "So You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore".  Too bad they couldn't come up with a longer title.  On top of those I have 3 Debbie Macomber books on my night stand.

Geesh, my high school English/reading teachers would be shocked to know that I read books.  I'm pretty sure they knew I read the Cliff Notes and tried to get detailed info from all my friends before every quiz.  You see, I just didn't have time to read in high school.  My life was packed full.  If it weren't for some fun/laid back classes, school itself would have messed with my social life.  Phone calls, sports and boys really did occupy way too much time after school to focus on something as boring as sticking my nose in required reading.  :)

Now that I have a nook color I have my nook books and my "physical, hold the paper & turn the page" books. I like the Nook but I seem to read faster and get less distracted when I read books printed on paper.  I don't know why that is.  One a positive note, it is hard to find time to read and when I do, often it is late at night. Often a few pages in I fall asleep.  The Nook saves my spot every time.  Love it!

I have 3 books to plug today.  The first isn't surprising...THE NEW PHENOMENON by Chris Raabe.  In the near future author Chris Raabe will be speaking at Peru State College.  I don't see this as a venue that will sell lots of books but it's great exposure and I'm praying that the novel is incorporated into their reading choices for YA lit classes.  Another note worthy comment is we have our own domain.
http://chrisraabe.net  will take you directly to Chris' blog.  This is just a starting place eventually we will do more with it.  One more comment, it you have not gone to the facebook page for The NEW PHENOMENON and liked it, please do so now. CLICK HERE We will be doing a book give away in the next month.  You must like the book and make a comment on the post to be entered in the raffle.

The second book that I plan to read soon is THREE BURNING BODIES by Brian Bogdanoff.  He is a retired local police officer who wrote a non-fiction book about a case he helped solve.  We met with Brian today for tips.  His book is doing very well and has even been a number one seller on Amazon.  His book is available in e-version as well as printed form.

Last but certainly not least I've gotta send out a shout for my Daily Bible in Chronological Order.  We are reading it together as a family.  There are many stories already (we're only in Exodus) that I have read or heard many times over the years but suddenly they make more sense when you know what happened 400 years before and after.  The girls are asking great questions too.  When I don't know the answer we look it up or I say, ask your Sunday school teacher.  LOL!

This week I'm sending up some special healing prayers for Evan and his mom at Mayo Clinic, Dylan at UNMC, Klint at Lakeside Hospital and Dad.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I'm currently reading the book "Christmas on Nutcracker Court" by Judy Duarte. On my nook I'm reading "The Obamas" by Jodi Cantor.