Tuesday, May 8, 2018

More Tendon Damage = Shoulder Surgery

I started this post about one week after surgery but couldn't make my brain form a sentence. We'll see if I am much better now at 22 days PO (post operation). Probably not. :)

Here's my story...
After a successful trip to Trader Joe's, I was chatting with a friend on the phone and about to finish putting away all my groceries when I bent over to pick up an empty bag from the floor. While exerting almost no effort at all, I heard and felt I loud pop in my shoulder. It was slightly uncomfortable but not a big deal until I tried to move my arm. I had no lateral or front extension of my left arm. For the next two days I tried to hide my malady until my most observant child noticed. She's such a tattle tail, Reagan told our physical therapist that I couldn't use my arm. From there I had an evaluation the next morning and because Claire the PT is amazing, I was in the surgeon's office the following morning. Another heavily medicated MRI followed two days later which confirmed what all medical professionals suspected, I had a torn rotator cuff (aka subscapularis) and bicep tendon. Surgery was lurking somewhere over the horizon but my hopes were wait until after summer.

Here's an interesting side note to this story. As I was examined first by my PT, then the surgical resident and finally my soon to be surgeon ALL three asked if I had taken any antibiotics. This is strange right? It turns out to be a very serious question in which we are still investigating. There is a very dangerous family of antibiotics that cause tendon tears in healthy tissue as well as several other side effects. These drugs should be avoided at all costs. You can ask your doctor for an alternative even if you are allergic to penicillin. I have torn 5 tendons in nine months under very strange circumstances. I am praying that I do not have damage from taking a fluoroquinolone, I prefer to chalk this up to some bizarre injuries. There will be a later post but please research Cipro, Floxin, Levaquin etc. You can find info on WebMD, FDA site, Mayo Clinic and many many other sites as well as blogs of people with permanent damage.

Back to surgery...
Four weeks after my initial injury and 15 PT appointments later I leaned on my left arm during a chat with my daughter and experienced a ripping of tissue and tremendous pain that would last for the next week. Back to PT and straight to the surgeon...surgery was scheduled for 5 days later. It turns out that my bicep tendon was damaged more along with the rupture of a 3rd tendon, the supraspinatus which is on top of the shoulder. My injuries were all in the shoulder but 3 completely different areas. Let's face it, I enjoy giving my doctors a challenge.

Pre Surgery but Post Drugs

2 of the 5 little incisions
There's one large incision that goes into my armpit

Way too many drugs!!!
Outside with Liv 8 days PO


Here are a few things I have learned along the way...
-Let people help
-Get the best surgeon
-Sleep deprivation isn't just for new mamas
-Find your daily gratitude
-Let the house be messy
-Rest
-Take the least medicine you can but take what you need
-Drink copious amounts of water
-I have a love/hate relationship with my brace
-Getting dressed one handed is not for the weak
-You will be surprised by people
-Look at recovery based on today vs last week
-Have good books and movies on hand
-Get adjusted
-Get over yourself
-Laugh often, it helps reduce the pain
-Get your favorite drinks, it makes you happy (McAlister's Tea)
-When you over do it you pay for it later
-God is still Good!!

1 comment:

Vicki said...

You haven't received your medical records from Phoenix yet? I just assumed you had and there was no record of you taking those drugs. Please keep me posted!