Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Motherhood is the very thing that can take me to the peaks and valleys, all within the same day. 11 years ago I had no idea what I was gettting myself into when Chris and I decided to start a family. To read a book on parenting is almost a joke, you must experience the ride to even begin to understand the depth of love hiding deep within you. Not every moment of mommy-hood is my favorite but it does seem to get better the longer I have children. Nothing was better than that first moment that I saw her and then touched her perfect, unbelmished velvety skin. I hope I never forget that spot in time.

Chris and I always knew that we would have more than one child but when baby number two was growing and developing within my body I started to wonder, "How does a mother love 2 babies?" I couldn't imagine this great love being split in two. God did another amazing feat. My love didn't split in two, it was multiplied by two and then three.

Celebrating motherhood is lovely. However I find myself building this day up in my mind and who can really compete with my fairlytale expectations? I was recognized in church. I ate out with my family. I picked out beautiful flowers for the yard. I spent several hours outside with the family. I opened precious handmade gifts from the girls. What a fantastic day! Yet, my favorite moment of recognition is when Olivia runs to me with a warm hug in the morning or when Emma tells me (and only me) about a cute boy at school or when Reagan tells me that I make the best food ever. Those are the real moments that no one sees but the very moments that fill my heart with such gratitude. What a blessed life!

To all those who read this blog, I pray you know the love of a child. It will change you forever.

1 comment:

Anderson Fam said...

I love your new family photos. I hope your mother's day was a great one. I had a wonderful one. Have a great week. Your scrap pages are great. I scrapped on last Friday, and only got 3 pages done on Hudson's book, oh well.