Sunday, March 7, 2010

Better Than Happy

Have you ever considered happiness and what that means? What makes you happy? For me it's little things like pedicures, Starbucks gift cards, hugs from my girls, dinner with my husband and a girls night out. All these things are great but not long lasting; toe nails chip, coffee isn't good for me, kids get busy, families get distracted and girlfriends come and go.

May I propose to you that joy is even better than happy. Joy is deeper, well grounded and not based on something superficial. Joy remains through trials and in spite of my good intentions as well as epic failures. My joy is found in my faith in Jesus Christ. He is steady. Read anything that Paul wrote throughout the bible and you will learn about joy. Paul's joy did not come after a day at the spa but often sitting in prison.

My challenge this week:
Read the book of Philippians. It's a short read, only 4 chapters. If you don't have a bible go to www.gatewaybible.com. I have a link on my blog at the daily verse to the right.

Find joy this week. You won't regret it and I believe you will be a better person for it.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Years ago I traded the idea of "happy" for the more attainable goal of contented. Since then, I never worry about whether I'm happy, I just measure the level of my contentedness. It's more than a change in semantics, it's a change in attitude. Phillipians is one of my favorite books!