Sunday, May 8, 2011

Wedding In 3 Days

When Chris and I got married it took eight months to plan the ceremony.  It was a big deal, a celebration of our new life together.  What  a joyous time and even tho most of it was planned by me without help from family members I had time to think things out.

This week I am planning a funeral.  Actually that's not an accurate statement, I planned a funeral in the last 18 hours.  There's so much of what I have done that resembles planning a wedding but you do it under high levels of emotion, fear of making the wrong choice and it a SHORT amount of time. 
MORTUARY:
This person is much like a wedding planner.
INVITATIONS:
Well, you don't really send those out for a funeral but there is that issue of letting friends and family know about the event however the friends might not be people you know.
CHURCH & PASTOR:
Fortunately Aunt Delma was a long time member of a christian church and I had been in contact with the pastor several times over the last 6 months.  She even called me the day before Aunt Delma passed.  Thank goodness we didn't have to wait 3 months for a church. 
SOLOIST & PIANIST:
Music is an important part of a wedding and a funeral.  Who do you ask?  What should they sing? Hurry up and decide the programs have to be sent to print 3 days before the event.  No, there won't be a DJ.
DRESS:
When you get married the dress is a main item and when you are buried the dress is less important but you do have to decide if you buy a new one or try to make something from the closet that is 4 sizes too big work.
FOOD:
No cake and punch but you do have large groups of people around and what are they going to eat? 
CASKET:
I don't know how that plays into a wedding but it's a MAJOR decision with a BIG price tag and once again, hurry and decide it's gotta get ordered.
PICKING A DATE:
Family flying in.  Long drives. You can't set the time and date until you know which relatives are coming and when they can arrive.
REGISTRATION BOOK:
Really?  $200 and What will I do with it afterwards?
FAMILY CAR:
It's much like the "get-away" car for the bride and groom but seldom does it have beverages aboard
HOTELS:
Good news here, you can get a berevment rate.
FLOWERS:
Over priced...people please send memorials.
The list goes on...
Just like a wedding most things tied to a funeral cost more than they should.  It's an emotional decision.

I'm not trying to make too light of the situation I am in.  I am thrilled to be the one who puts on the celebration of Delma's life.  I have found myself crying when it doesn't make sense to, laughing and cracking jokes that might be considered inappropriate and calm in stressful moments. 

Last week was a time of grieving.
This weekend has been filled with planning.
Next week I will be grieving and celebrating.
The following week I will be packing again.
After all that is done, I don't know what I will do. 

No comments: