Monday, March 23, 2009

The Servant's Heart

Here are a few pics from my trip to Kentucky. I need to steal some pics from some of the other people who were on the trip. I guess I got tired of taking pictures. Maybe I just wasn't thinking straight after several days of getting 3-4 hours of sleep at night. I was trying to keep up with 20 year olds, guess I'm not 20 anymore. ha


Here I am driving through St Louis...the arch in the background.
First Baptist Church in Salyersville, KY. We stayed here the whole week and spent some hard days working in the fellowship hall here. This church was built by volunteers, there has been something like 5000 volunteers come through this building. Their desire is to house volunteers who want to come work in the area. This was a nice facility...mattresses, showers, a kitchen. I'm guessing it's much better than Mexico conditions. :)
This picture was taken upstairs in the fellowship hall at the New Hope Baptist Church. This church has had NO volunteers helping with the construction. I was able to work and hang out with this great group...everyone from GI except Caleb. Brother George is an amazing guy with a heart for the lost. I'd go back tomorrow to help finish this building if it were possible. They also had the best food! :)
Yes, that's me with a chop saw cutting metal beams. I cut about 50 of these and loved every minute of it. I also got to construct and put up walls of these beams. I felt so empowered.
These last 2 pictures are taken in the Index Community Church. We worked on their fellowship hall as well. Brother Bob is an amazing man who over sees something like 100 churches in the area. (that might be an exaggeration) He was working right beside us all week. You can pray for another great man in this area. Tom has put in countless hours helping at his wife's church but does not know the Lord as his savior.

It was at this church that we had 2 of our students get baptized the day we were heading back to Nebraska. Now that's what it's all about!

There are so many stories to share. Although this trip was not what I expected and truthfully I even found myself disappointed a few times, still I found God right there in the midst of it all. I realized that it doesn't matter what I do to serve here on Earth because it's not about me. It's about the One I serve, my Lord and Savior. It's my heart's desire to be more of a servant. Not just on a mission trip but here in my home city and for my family.

Quote for today:
How much must you hate someone to not share your belief in God?
by Penn (of Penn and Teller, yes he's an atheist)

No comments: