Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pruning

This morning before church I sat in the dinning room looking out the window to the north noticing our overgrown bush and wondering when I should prune those branches back.  The bush is pretty scraggly which makes it an easy target for weeds. Timing is everything when it comes to gardening.. 

Just as I need to prune the bush in my yard to rid the dead or unhealthy branches to insure growth, I am noticing that this is a season of pruning in my life.  God's ways are always loving so I know that even though I am feeling pain, He is preparing me for growth.

Not too long ago I wrote a blog entry titled "Change Your World."  I had no idea how much God was preparing my own heart for what was about to come.  In that post I made mention of how God comes at me from so many directions and He did it again.  This weekend I was in Grand Island at our old church for a Beth Moore Simulcast. (LOVED IT!!!) Beth talked about "The Law of Kindness."  How did she know I was going to need a refresher to keep me from saying and doing things I would later regret?  God's attention to the details is amazing.  Kindness is not an action it's a disposition.  When I open my mouth (and I will) I prayerfully ask God to let the words that flow be words of wisdom.

So this week when it warms up a little, while I am in my yard pruning the dead or overgrown branches from bushes and flowers I will be thinking about my Father in Heaven who is doing a good work within me. I challenge each of you to show kindness today.  Not just being nice which can be faked, I mean genuine kindness.

Have a great week.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Great post! We all need some pruning in our lives. We all need to be kinder. Thanks for the inspiration.