Sunday, November 2, 2008

Older Than Dirt???

Well, just barely! My parents moved into my childhood home when I was 1. Do the math real quick...35 years ago. This weekend my servant of a husband and I helped mom and dad move out of that house and into a smaller, one story home. During that fun filled process, we met up with some dust bunnies that could take on any of the Disney villains and win. In case my brothers actually read my blog...remember that bookcase in the big hall under the mirror? It's been there as long as I can remember. It wouldn't surprise me if the dust bunnies under there were born in the early 70's.

Really, I am not saying this to criticize my parents, I'm sure my children will make fun of me too. We joked right along with mom and dad as bookshelf after bookshelf after bookshelf was removed. There's still lots of work to be done in that 113 house. So now I am going to invite my bothers and their wives to pick up where we have left off. :)

This old house has been "home" to me all of my life. The next time we go to Kansas I may sleep in my old bed but it won't be in my old bedroom.
The memories that bedroom holds are great. Slumber parties, pulling up my carpet to paint the wood floor without my parents' permission (woops), sneaking out with the fire rescue ladder, spilling finger nail polish, doing homework, getting ready for prom, sleeping there the night before my wedding, there's so much to remember.
Now my children get to make new memories with me in Oma and Opa's new home.
For those of you who are not from a small town, let me explain a few things to you. #1 Yes, that is a horse trailer that was used to haul all my parents' possessions 2 blocks west. I guess we could have gotten a U-Haul but we would have had to drive 75-90 miles to find one. Hardly seems worth it, huh? #2 There are no fast food restaurants in town so the ladies of the church brought over coffee and muffins for a little snack in the morning at 10:30 and then for lunch several ladies provided food. When we moved, we just bought pizza, can't do that in a town of 1,200 people. haha

These 2 YOUNG men were the only 2 (male) movers who weren't eligible for social security. In fact, if we combine their ages the total is still 5-7 years younger than the next youngest mover. Are you getting what I am saying? It was a medicare conference. ha ha
Thank you Thank you Thank you to Brett Jurey for all of his muscles and quiet humor! You are a real friend!
Quick shout out to some other great friends who made this day possible. Kimberly had Emma and Olivia and Lindsey had Reagan from 7am until 7pm. Talk about wonderful friends!!! Thank you for your willingness to service and asking nothing in return. We love you guys!
Happy Birthday to my big bro Rodger. Hope you shot a deer this weekend. Love you!!!
Alright, I am wiped out after a long tiring weekend. My comfy bed is calling me.

No comments: