Monday, February 14, 2011

Teacher Gifts

Using yesterday's recipe for Reese Peanut Butter Bars, I created a tasty little valentine's gift for the girls' teachers.  Turns out, I had so much that I gave it to the janitors, our chiropractor and staff, grandparents and several neighbors.  This snack is super yummy and just as easy to make.  Funny how you make something so easy and people think you are some kind of Betty Crocker.  :)  Even though it's full of sugar this snack is better for you homemade than store bought.  I used organic ingrediants and cut the sugar in half.  Still it was so rich you could eat only one piece. (Chris said he had 5 today.)






Do you know Quinoa?  Are you a fan?  We love quinoa but only because we "doctor" it up.  Quinoa (keen*wa) can be used when ever you would serve rice or pasta.  It is a healthy alternative and delicious.

Using my rice cooker....
1 1/3 cups quinoa
2 cups broth (I used homemade chicken broth to avoid MSG and other yucky stuff in store bought)
I'm not sure how long I cooked it, probably around 35 minutes

In a skillet I lightly sauteed onion, red bell pepper and zuchini. I added garlic, salt, pepper and sweet basil. Do not over cook, veggies should not be mushy. I did mushrooms in a seperate pan so the girls wouldn't complain.

I added all the ingrediants together plus about a cup of leftover black beans

Add a fresh veggie salad and you've got a healthy happy meal.  The girls all loved it.

No comments: