Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Giving Life

This is one of my favorite things to do...Donate Blood!
It's either something you CAN do or CAN NOT do.
My friend Liz would like to but can not because of the places she lived in her youth.
My friend Amy can't even look at this picture without getting woozy, so actually donating might send her over the edge.

The first time I gave was in college and it gave me a great feeling of helping out those in need.  With every whole red blood donation you save 3 lives.  That's amazing.  I make my appointment for 1pm on Monday, every 8 weeks.  That means I could be saving 18 lives a year.  Woo Hoo!!  This post isn't to pat me on the back, it's to show how easy it is to do something HUGE for a total stranger. Talk about RAK (random acts of kindness)  In less than an hour (40 minutes usually) I am in and out of there...the paperwork takes the longest.  Actual giving time this week was 5 minutes and 14 seconds.

If you are able I challenge you to add this to your routine.  I don't wait around for the Red Cross to call, I just sign up and then plan around my appointment. In Nebraska I call...
 #800-448-3543
To learn more about blood donation opportunities, visit www.redcrossblood.org/ or call
1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733 2767).

BTW, yep that's my nook in the bottom of the picture...love that thing.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Dan and JD both donate blood regularly. JD is O neg, so he's a universal donor and Dan is B neg, so he gets called by United Blood Services regularly! I am in the CAN NOT category... needles and I don't mix! Good for you for donating your time and the gift of life.