Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Bathroom Makeover

So ready to make an improvement to this shower
DAY ONE
I am so excited about our most recent home project. This house has given us plenty to do over the last five years. Too bad we aren't the fix-it-yourself kind of people. We try on some of the easier jobs but this bathroom requires a professional.
The good news: the shower is out and work has begun.
The BAD news: a previous owner did some not-so-great renovations in the bathroom and didn't do it right.
#1 the moisture barrier was cut out. 
#2 the drain pipe was cut too short 
#3 there were boards and pipes just hanging loose behind the shower walls 
#4 Jerry has to stop working at 2pm so he can find get new parts.

this pipe is WAY too short

DAY TWO
Since we want this project done right we elected to pull up the existing floor instead of putting the tile over the nasty, ugly stick-on tiles.
This is what Jerry found...
 MOLD!!  YUCK!!!
Again, this is the result of a fix it yourself job done before we moved in to this house. Guess what? Jerry had to take the rest of the day off after he took care of the mold. More wasted time.

DAY THREE
Oh My Word...is my contractor going to ever work a full day?

On day 3 Jerry began working on the installation of the shower faucet. I was excited to find great looking hardware at Overstock.com in the finish I wanted for a good price. Our problem for today is the missing valve for the Kohler Shower Hardware. OH MY GOSH!!! Partially this is my fault because when it arrived I opened it but didn't really know what I was looking at, got distracted by kids coming home from school and then didn't look at it again until Jerry called me with the bad news. I called Overstock at 1:00pm to see what could be done. That place is so large, they told me it would take 2 days just to talk to the parts people. I called again at 7:00pm, to see where they had gotten with my issue. I think that was the red flag for them, I was not going to give up. Truly, I wanted to yell at them and be a jerk but they were so helpful. Because I'm the kind of girl who takes matters into my own hands, and because we couldn't get our shower tile on the walls until the hardware was installed I started looking for the part here in Omaha.  Briggs Plumbing was also a breath of fresh air.  They gave me a great price for the valve even though I had not purchased product with them.  Thank you Briggs!! For the 4th time in 20 hours I was on the phone with Overstock.com. Again, great customer service. They refunded me $100 even though I had paid only $75 to Briggs. I should have asked for more but I was just so happy to get my contractor back to work.

DAY FOUR
Jerry already had another job to do so my bathroom sat as is for one more day.

DAY FIVE
Work resumed...
The shower valve is in, the cement board is up, the floor pan is in and the cement is in the floor of the shower waiting for my pebbles.

DAY SIX & SEVEN
weekend

DAY EIGHT
At this point, I have kind of lost track of what happened what day because there was a weekend in there. I am pretty sure this was Monday before I left for my Jamaican Birthday Get-Away



DAY NINE & TEN
It is finished...oh wait. We had a little problem with a dip in the floor but again awesome customer service from my contractor, he came over to fix it. That's the gray spot by the drain. 
AFTER

Everyone loves the shower, the girls are even more willing to take a shower now. It feels bigger, I love my new shower!! Thanks Jerry Christensen, you do awesome work!

Here's the final work I need to do...new lighting, new mirror frame, paint and new countertop. The counter top is going to come last because we were going to save money by not doing it. We see now that it "needs" to be done. Good thing is, I can shop around for good deals and possibly find a remnant of granite.

No comments: