Monday, September 15, 2008

Starting up the Mountain

Who out there has lived in the same house for 35 years or more? Not many of us, I'm sure. I spent 3 days at my childhood home starting the packing, sorting and throwing away process for my parents. There are a few obstacles as they travel UP this mountain. First and foremost, there's just too much stuff. Second, there is an emotional attachment to life's treasures. Third they are over whelmed. Since Chris and I have moved 6 times in the last 12 years I hoped to offer mom and dad some much needed advice and help. In my mind I did just that...don't know what they thought. :)
As you can see, the house has been scrapped and getting repainted. Here dad is taking out a tree. This week a new roof. Next week something else I'm sure. Like most people, preparing their house to sell means doing the little thing (or big) that you've meant to do for years. Mom didn't really want me to take this picture and she probably doesn't want it on my blog for the world to see but she doesn't have internet nor know how to access my page. Now with that said, one of my brothers will surely "tell" on me. :) When all is said and done (after we make at least 2 more trips down there) I will be sad to say good-bye to this old house. We moved in right after I turned one and this has been the place I call home for many years.
Dad has done everything in his power to slow the process of his disease but the fact of the matter is, there is no cure, yet. So right now he continues to make good health decisions, listen to his doc but lean on natural remedies and stay physically active. Moving into a smaller home with NO steps is a must for dad. I'm sure they will love their new home, if they don't kill each other first.
This bowl is here just for me...a reminder.

Make peace and show love.

No comments: