Thursday, November 19, 2009

Created to Love



These unique flowers are called Bleeding Hearts. I had never seen them until I googled the phrase "bleeding heart picture" since that is my subject of gratitude today.

When God created me he placed an extra dose of mercy in my heart. I guess that means I have a bleeding heart, or so I've been told. It is true that my heart breaks when we watch the news most nights. I can't stand the thought of a step mom treating her sweet teenage step-daughter as an object rather than a person. Even the little girl being treated poorly by her grandmother in Kohl's today prompted me to pray for that family. And seeing an ambulance drive past us on the road starts a prayer in my heart instantly. Mean isn't right and it is not funny! What can I do about it? Some times there's nothing physically I can do but I can pray!

What a blessing it is to have a heavy heart. How do injustices get corrected? Who loves the unlovable? This world needs some bleeding hearts to offer love. I will admit, I've been burnt from time to time. Standing beside a friend who is morally in the toilet because you know she needs love can bite you in the butt. Believe me, I learned that the hard way. Even so, it is better to love and lose it than to never have loved at all.

1 comment:

Randa said...

Melanie, I love this post. I am the same way. Watching the news, seeing an ambulance, all the same for me. I have a hard time even with some primetime dramas. Although I know that they are just stories, I always think that someone, somewhere, has gone through the same situation.

As a side note, my mom used to have bleeding hearts in her garden when I was young. They are very cool. Love the pics. I think we should both try to find some for our gardens next summer.