Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Snap Happy

I did it!!  I did it!!  I did it!
I shopped.  I compared.  I researched.  Chris and I worked extra jobs.  I saved every penny.  And then I finally made a decision to purchase the Sony Alpha 33.  I love it!  It's light weight.  It's amazing in low light.  It does great things on this cloudy day.  It's loaded with features.  I can take digital videos which focus instantly. It can do stuff I don't even know about yet.  :)  I will be taking a DSLR basics class this weekend.  I'm sure in no time at all I will want another class and a new lens but one step at a time.  For now...I am snappin' pictures like crazy.  You could call me Snap Happy!


Here's a little side note that made me pause...
Nationally, about half of all homeless women and children are fleeing domestic abuse and violence. Open Door Mission’s Lydia House  provides emergency services for women and families in need of immediate assistance. They provide food, shelter, clothing and other basic needs. The Lydia House also offers life changing programs to address the causes of homelessness such as abuse, addiction, or the inability to obtain and maintain steady employment. The Lydia House has safe shelter available for more than 300 women and families.
I like to support the Open Door Mission and Lydia House in Omaha anytime I can.  Yesterday I did so by taking a van FULL of donations down there.  I had clothing, housewares, you name it, I had it.  When you take donations to Good Will they just mark down 5 boxes, 2 bags or whatever you bring.  At the ODM they weigh your donations.  I took in 303 lbs.  I was amazed.  Please take the time to find a place like the Open Door Mission in your area and be intentional about supporting them in any way you can.  I have included a link to the ODM above (click on Lydia House).  If you don't know what their needs are just call or often they will even have items listed on their website.  If you feel so compelled, a cash donation is always needed, even $5.

Be A Blessing,
Melanie

3 comments:

Randa said...

Thanks Melanie....I usually just take stuff to good will. I think I will head to the Lydia house next time. Great suggestion. Have fun with the new camera!

Vicki said...

O cool! You got your camera, good for you. Can't wait to see all the superb photos you'll be posting on the blog... (your old photos were fantastic too)

Susan Snyder said...

You never even mentioned that!! SO excited for you!!