Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Corporate Cup 2012

Back in March a girlfriend from Arizona challenged me to a 5K to celebrate our birthdays. She wanted to get out of the heat so I found something in the mid-west, signed up and sent her the link to do the same. Luckily I talked a couple local friends into joining us.  I say "luckily" because my AZ friend decided to not come. The big race day is in early October and honestly I have not trained consistently for this race.

In the meantime my friend Susan talked me into running in the Corporate Cup 10K on September 16th. Reluctantly I agreed to it thinking I had 10 weeks to get into shape.  Guess what? I didn't get trained properly. Sunday morning I was stressed and dreaded even the thought of running 6.2 miles. We got downtown EARLY (because that's what you do when you are with her hubby Tim) and waited around for the mobs of people to move towards the starting line. 
 Look at all these people.  I think there were around 4,000 in the 10K and 10,000 in the entire event.
I got my shirt, Susan did not. Here we are ready to push ourselves beyond what our bodies think possible. I was so nervous I nearly threw up.
My new running shoes...this will surely break them in.
Got my bib, armed with a GPS chip.


I am proud to say that I finished with a time of 1:20:38. The time isn't the important part of that statement, it's the word "FINISHED." I probably didn't push myself hard enough because at the finish line I felt like I could go a little more. I alternated running 10 mins-walking 5 mins the entire way. So to say I "ran" the race is only a partial truth even though my walking is just slightly slower than my "running." 

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

My list of 101 Things had "RUN A 5K" which I am doing on October 6th but this counts also.  I love it when I can mark another thing accomplished.

Have a very blessed day and know that with HIS power you are able to accomplish more than you ever dreamed possible.  Not by your strength but by HIS strength.  Peace

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Good for you! I'm impressed.