Saturday, September 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Oma

Today is a special day...it's my mom's birthday.

The majority of our family birthdays are in the fall. In case you have not caught on to the crazy schedule we keep from August to November let me say it again...WE ARE BUSY this time of year. Because of that birthday celebrations can be a little difficult to squeeze in with out of town family.  We won't see mom today but we will call and sing "Happy Birthday" to her. Gosh, we might even buy some cupcakes to eat them in her honor.

Today marks another monumental event. Today 12 years ago Chris, Emma and I were at a football game in Glendale, AZ watching the Independence Patriot band take the field when in a blink of an eye our 18 month old slipped from our grasp. Emma's little body zipped through the LARGE opening on the bleachers and fell 10 feet to the asphalt below. There are no words to describe what I felt in the next 60 seconds. Without anyone knowing what was going on, Chris and I flew down the stadium to retrieve our baby below. It is funny the things your brain allows you to be aware of and the things that are blocked out. We both recall hearing a woman yell at us, "No Running!" She had no idea what had happened, not even the people sitting around us knew.

We got to the bottom of the bleachers (which were open in the front) and made our way to our crying baby below.  I remember right then and there praising God that she was crying, that meant she was alive. Adrenaline took over and Chris picked her up, not even thinking that she could possibly have a spinal injury.  Blood was gushing from her head, Chris began to freak out and miraculously I was calm. (This is a role reversal for us.) God gave me strength to move forward. Within seconds we were surrounded by Chris' coworkers, someone called 911 and the ambulance was on it's way. The Richeys were the first people there to help. We met Andy and Becky through supper club at our church. Later Chris and Andy were coworkers and baseball coaches at IHS. Becky asked what she could do first. I sent one person in search of my purse and shoe and then I had Becky call the prayer chain at our home church, Christ Church of the Valley. I knew then, and still do, that calling on the power of our Creator and Redeemer was the most important step in Emma's recovery.

In my memory the next hour of time is filled with waiting, worrying, hurrying and many brief stories. We waited for the ambulance while the doctor at the game wanted us to just drive Emma to the nearest hospital. Again God gave me the strength to tell him, "no, we will wait for the ambulance so we can go to Children's hospital downtown." Once the medical team arrived, Emma and I hurried down I-17 with the lights and sirens blaring. Chris followed in a friend's vehicle. The paramedic cut off Emma's brand new (never worn before) outfit and said she definitely had a broken clavicle. I also remember trying to calm Emma by singing "Jesus Loves Me", something that worked in the past. She said, "no singing mama." Aw, a little comic relief, just what I needed. Thank goodness the school colors were red and blue because my dark red shirt was covered in blood as was my face, hands and arms.

We rolled into Phoenix Children's Hospital at 19th and Thomas. The doctors surrounded Emma and took her away from me. There was something about seeing her go behind the curtain without me that I couldn't handle. In fact, right now as I type this I am overwhelmed with emotion again. Oh my God is good. Never once did I question him, I certainly needed him. Right as the chaplain began to walk this sobbing mother into the waiting room my husband raced in the ER doors. His face was grief stricken asking what happened? I was so confused. I said (probably with some attitude), "Emma fell through the bleachers." He thought she died because I had been so strong and suddenly I could barely walk. I don't recall laughing about that until later but it is funny.

Our first update didn't come for an hour, finally then we knew she would live however we did not know the extent of her injuries. The waiting room continued to fill with people from school and church.  These people were friends, coworkers and bosses.  Some of them knew Christ and others didn't. In the midst of a large group prayer, right there in the waiting room God showed me the impact this event could have on our friends D & L as well as others who were not with our group. I don't believe God caused Emma to fall so someone else could come to know Christ but I know that God uses situations like this one to share His love with the lost. What a joy it was to find out 3 or 4 years later that D&L had become believers. The credit is all God's but I can't help but wonder if a seed was planted that night.

Within another hour we were able to see Emma. Her injuries were bad enough but nothing like what they could have been. No concision, no broken bones (remember the paramedic), no internal injuries but she did have gravel embedded into her skull. Who knew that a plastic surgeon would be at the hospital on a Friday night at 9pm? Another God thing! We had a terrible night of sleep at Children's then were released the following day.

My next strong memory was Sunday morning sitting on the front row at church. I had never felt so close to God. (Another odd detail, I remember Marcie Demaree playing the piano on stage.) I believe God provided a hedge of protection around Emma as she fell. The feelings of thankfulness and joy still wash over me when I think of all of the "could have beens". And that huge scare on Emma's forehead is a reminder to her that God has a very special plan for her life.

God is Good All the Time!
All the Time God is Good!




1 comment:

Vicki said...

Oh my goodness, I remember that event. As a matter of fact, I think of it every single year when H.S. football starts up here in the valley. God indeed protected Emma!